Germany is a well-known name in the race of car manufacturing or beer. However, these are not just what makes it popular. There is something else: Eielikor is a very popular beverage, served usually during Christmas and Easter. This is also utilized in the process of creating cakes, tarts, and desserts. This beverage is often referred to as eggnog or advocaat. Its discovery can be traced back to the 17th century when the European conquerors discovered, among the Amazonian Aborigines, a soft drink called Abacate.
According to Eugen Verpoorten, its manufacturer, he tried to recreate the Abacate. However, due to the non-availability of avocados, he used egg yolk, and thus led to the foundation of Heinsberg. Gradually over the period of time, this beverage became quite a trend among the people and also became a must-to-have beverage during festive seasons.
Preparing this beverage is quite convenient and you can do it at home, just make sure you have all the ingredients and also of the best quality.
Now let’s take a look at the ingredients and how much of each do we need to create this beverage.
- Milk (1 cup)
- Cream (1 cup)
- Sugar (3/4th cup)
- 1 vanilla bean (chopped lengthwise)
- Egg yolks (5)
- Vodka (1/2 of a cup)
- Brandy (1/2 of a cup)
Now that you have all the ingredients at your disposal, make sure that all the bowls and necessary utensils are all cleaned by, just for being hygienic!! It’s time now for making the eggnog.
- Pour the milk, cream, and sugar in a bowl and mix them well. Add the vanilla bean to it. Don’t forget to scrape off the seed from the vanilla bean. Heat the mixture at a temperature of about 700Celcius or 1600 Fahrenheit. To keep a track of the right temperature, you can use a room thermometer to check.
- Next, separate the egg yolks from the whites. Now take the egg yolks and stir them. Add a few tablespoons of milk while stirring. This is basically to heat up the yolk. Keep on adding milk till you get the desired warmed up yolk mixture.
- Then, heat up a pan and pour the yolk mixture in it. You can use a whisk or blender to stir the mixture for about 7 to 8 minutes at a temperature of 700Celcius or 1600 Fahrenheit.
- Ensure that the liquid is in a “pudding” like state. In case, it is thinner, chances are that it has not been heated for the required time frame. Heat till you get the “pudding” like state.
- After the mentioned time frame, remove the mixture from heat and let it cool down before going ahead with the recipe.
- Once the mixture cools down, add half a cup of vodka and brandy to the mixture and stir it for about 4 minutes.
- Use a separator to remove the vanilla bean from the mixture. Pour the filtered liquid into a container, preferably a bottle.
- Keep the bottle or container in the fridge and do make sure that the cooling temperature of the fridge is somewhat in between 100 to 120 Celsius or 500 to 530 Fahrenheit.
YOUR EGGNOG or EIERIKOR IS READY!!
This beverage is usually drunk in small cups. You can even use it to make cocktails for parties or family gatherings. It is quite popular for the winter season since this warm drink keeps the body warm and cold away. Eierlikor is also a perfect holiday gift, in case you wish to give to someone.